Rev. William Eversmann, O.S.B. arrived in Tacoma on July 16, 1891 as Holy Rosary's first pastor. Three days later, he celebrated Mass for the first time in the new church, preaching to the people in German.
Aug. 8, 1891: The Church was formally dedicated as Our Lady of the Holy Rosary by the Most Rev. Ægidius Junger, Bishop of Nesqually. Later a reception was held at the home of Mr. Joseph Klee, one of the founders and the principal contributor for the new Church. Also on this date the first baptism was held at Holy Rosary Parish, that of Pauline Thecla Weidman, who was born on June 6, 1891 to Gotlieb and Christina Spitzmesser Weidman. Bertha Alma Erpelding was also baptized on the same day.
Sept. 21, 1891: School started with about a dozen pupils in the choir loft of the Church. Before long there are 35 students enrolled in the School. Holy Rosary School was the first parochial school in the city of Tacoma. Plans were quickly drawn up for a three-story schoolhouse measuring 50 x 40 feet to be built at the side of the new Church.
Oct. 4, 1891: The first funeral was held at Holy Rosary Parish: Leo Fuchs died on October 2, 1891, at the age of 25 years.
Oct. 29, 1891: The first Marriage was celebrated at Holy Rosary: Mr. Francis Xavier Schaupp marries Miss Marie Magdalene Leibenger.
Sept. 5, 1892: Three Benedictine Sisters arrived from Minnesota to staff the School: Sr. Alphonsa O’Donnell, Superior and Teacher; Sr. Perpetua Pick, Teacher; and Sr. Rosina Loecken, Cook. This began more than a century of Benedictine teachers at the school. Three days later, the new school building was used for the first time.
Holy Rosary Church and School, 1892